Friday 18 March 2011

I do like to be beside the seaside...

As I sit here in my loungeroom, gazing out towards the ocean, rain beating down on the roof, I long for the blue sky, sunshiny days of Summer.  With the grey skies and humidity of late, with cooler, crisper nights, I think it's almost time to say goodbye to our long, lazy beach days.  But not before I fill you in on my great Australian dream - a humble Aussie beach shack.  Somewhere to hang out in Summer, reading and enjoying long, languid days and lunches with friends, dining on delectable local seafood, cooked on the BBQ and washed down with a crisp Sauv Blanc.  Or come Winter, to rug up in a chunky knit cardigan, candy-striped flannelette pj's and ugg boots, in front of a crackling open fire, curled up on the couch with a riveting read and an earthy red...  My idea of Heaven!

As I dream about owning my very own beach shack one day, for now, I'll remain content spending the odd weekend at one like this (in all its pretty pastel-coloured glory) which can be found at Hyams Beach, on the stunning NSW South Coast...

So quaint and pretty...



With stunning views and beaches like these, is there anywhere else you'd rather be?








Nothing spells summer quite like an
Adirondack, in ice-cream colours!


The perfect place to perch yourself with
a good book,
peering out across the ocean, waiting for
the perfect sunset :)

And here's a tiny cluster of beach shacks, right here in Manly, which are lucky enough to enjoy perhaps the best view in the world... 




They are precariously perched on the cliffs at Dobroyd Head and were built by some returned soldiers after World War II.  They can be visited via the Spit to Manly Walk (down a long, bushy, windy track, aglow with wildflowers and chirping birds, bees and butterflies) and they are now maintained by The National Parks and Wildlife Service.  I was fortunate enough to be able to take a look around inside one about a year ago, when a son of the owner was staying down there and fixing a few things up.  It was magic and I was transported way back to a time when simple pleasures prevailed...

When I find my perfect, idyllic beach shack, there will be only 4 things on my wishlist:
  • A crackly, earthy wood fire
  • A Frangipani tree in the yard
  • An outdoor shower
  • And a deep, old-fashioned bath
Where is your favourite beach shack and what's on your wishlist?

Love,
Miss Manly x

No comments:

Post a Comment